15 Useful Tips to Ace Your ABFM Certification Exam
With the ABFM Certification Exam around the corner, here are a few useful tips that may come in handy.
- The hardest part of this exam is being able to answer the questions based on the “standard” rather than what you do in “your shop”. Don’t overthink it.
- Remember, there are no tricks. The woman with rust-colored sputum, fever, and cough has pneumonia, not influenza or some other zebra.
- Go with your instincts on questions you are unsure of. Don’t talk yourself out of the answer your gut wants you to choose.
- Pack the night before. Make sure you have your ID (e.g. driver’s license). Lay out comfortable clothes. Bring something warm (e.g. light sweatshirt) in case the room gets cold.
- Double check your exam location and time. Plug it in to a map service such as Google Maps. Plan to arrive at least 30 minutes before your scheduled exam time.
- Familiarize yourself with the testing interface. This is the demo test provided by Pearson.
- Pack a lunch and eat it during your break. Keep it “lean”, you’ll have time to eat more after the exam. Stick with fats and proteins (e.g. hard boiled eggs). And water.
- Go to bed early (read some fiction to keep your mind off the exam).
- Wake up early (to avoid rushing) and drink a large glass (20+ oz) of water with a squeeze of lemon.
- Get your heart rate up for 30 seconds (20 push ups/burpees, brisk walk around the block, stretching/yoga).
- Eat a breakfast composed of fats and proteins (e.g. eggs, bacon, avocado). Avoid carbohydrates and sugars, if possible.
- Use the bathroom before you start the exam.
- Once the exam starts, you are on the clock. So, before you click start, take a deep breath (or a few), and bring yourself into focus.
- Answer every question, don’t leave any questions blank.
We also composed a Mock ABFM Certification Exam that is now available in your Dashboard Boost Box (desktop/laptop only). While we believe the 3,500 questions in your Qbank are more than adequate to prepare you for the Certification Exam, there are some people who ask for even more content…so we provide it.
Also, it is helpful to be familiar with the format of the ABFM Certification Exam
- Section 1: 80 multiple choice questions [100 minutes]
- Optional break [15 minutes]
- Section 2: 80 multiple choice questions (40 from selected module, 40 from across Family Medicine) [100 minutes]
- Section 3: 45 multiple choice questions from selected module [45 minutes]
- Optional break [70 minutes]
- Section 4: 80 multiple choice questions [100 minutes]
- Optional break [15 minutes]
- Section 5: 80 multiple choice questions [100 minutes]
Another helpful study took is to review the article How to Increase Your Family Medicine ABFM Certification Exam score by 100 points.
“Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” –Theodore Roosevelt
You ARE a Family Medicine physician…you got this.
The Rosh Review team
P.S. If you are in New Orleans this week at AAFP FMX, visit us at Booth 1018
Rosh Review is not sponsored or endorsed by, or affiliated with, the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM). All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.