A Few Last-Minute Test-Taking Tips for Your ABEM ConCert™ Exam
Sign Up for Free Qbank Access Get Free Access
Here are a few last-minute tips for your exam…
- The hardest part of this exam is being able to answer the questions based on the “standard” rather than what you do in “your shop.” Don’t overthink.
- Remember, there are no tricks. The woman who steps off a plane from China with unilateral leg swelling, a cough, and syncope…has a PE, not influenza or some other zebra.
- Go with your instincts on questions you are unsure of. Don’t talk yourself out of the answer your gut wants you to choose.
- Pack the night before. Make sure you have your ID (e.g., driver’s license). Lay out comfortable clothes. Bring something warm (e.g., light sweatshirt) in case the room gets cold.
- Double-check your exam location and time. Plug it into a map service such as Google Maps. Plan to arrive at least 30 minutes before your scheduled exam time.
- Familiarize yourself with the testing interface. This is the demo test provided by Pearson.
- Pack a lunch and eat it during your break. Keep it “lean”, you’ll have time to eat more after the exam. Stick with fats and proteins (e.g., hard-boiled eggs). And water.
- Go to bed early (read some fiction to keep your mind off the exam).
- Wake up early (to avoid rushing) and drink a large glass (20+ oz) of water with a squeeze of lemon.
- Get your heart rate up for 30 seconds (20 push-ups/burpees, brisk walk around the block, stretching/yoga).
- Eat a breakfast composed of fats and proteins (e.g., eggs, bacon, avocado). Avoid carbohydrates and sugars, if possible.
- Use the bathroom before you start the exam.
- Once the exam starts, you are on the clock. So, before you click start, take a deep breath (or a few), and bring yourself into focus.
- Answer every question, don’t leave any questions blank.